Two special events this weekend will involve road closures. Residents and visitors are encouraged to come out and enjoy these events. Businesses in the areas affected are open to pedestrian traffic but some roads will be closed to vehicles.
Festivals and other special events are important to the city, injecting hundreds of millions of dollars annually into Toronto’s economy, and they are enjoyed each year by local residents.
In addition to road closures related to special events, there is a significant amount of road work taking place in the city. People are encouraged to take public transit as a greener, faster and more affordable way of getting to their destinations.
Those who need to drive in the general vicinity of special events should allow extra time to get to and from their destination. A more complete list of events and road work is available at http://www.toronto.ca/torontostreets.
Toronto Marathon - Sunday closures
Sunday closures and intermittent delays
The Toronto Marathon will take place on Sunday, May 6. All closures and lane restrictions below will occur on that day. The race begins at the North York Civic Centre at 7:30 a.m. (road closures begin at 5 a.m.) and the main segment of the race will take place on Yonge Street from Finch Avenue to Davenport Road.
• Some lane restrictions will take place in the area bounded by Bayview Avenue in the east, Royal York Road in the west, Lake Shore Boulevard in the south and Finch Avenue in the north. A complete list of roads that will be impacted is available at http://www.toronto.ca/torontostreets.
• To accommodate the Toronto Marathon, a number of ramps on the Gardiner Expressway and Don Valley Parkway will be closed from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., including:
- The Gardiner Expressway eastbound off-ramp to Jarvis Street - access to Jarvis Street is closed, access to Lake Shore Boulevard remains open.
- The Gardiner Expressway westbound off-ramp to Sherbourne/Jarvis - access to northbound Sherbourne Street is open, access to Jarvis Street is closed.
- The Gardiner Expressway westbound off-ramp at Spadina - access to westbound Lake Shore Boulevard is closed.
- The Gardiner Expressway westbound on-ramp to Spadina - access to westbound Lake Shore Boulevard is closed.
- The Don Valley Parkway Bayview/Bloor off-ramp to southbound Bayview Avenue is closed.
For more information about the marathon, visit http://www.torontomarathon.com.
2012 Khalsa Day parade - Sunday closures
The 2012 Khalsa Day parade will take place on Sunday, May 6. All closures and lane restrictions below will occur on that day:
• The parade enters the City of Toronto at Highway 27 at approximately 2 p.m. and continues from Morning Star Drive (Mississauga/Peel) to Humberwood Boulevard, from Humberline Drive to Finch Avenue West, eastbound on Finch to Westmore Drive and to Carrier Drive where the dispersal area is located. There will be some road closures as the parade takes place along these roads.