Story by Margie Wagner
Willowdale Group of Artists was founded in 1947 by 10 enthusiastic artists who loved to paint.
The objective of WGA is to bring together people who have a desire to draw and paint and to provide them with inspiration, opportunities for learning, and support. The diverse group of artists draw, paint and have classes in the afternoons, evenings and on weekends. Classes are held at different locations to fulfill differing needs.
Willowdale Group of Artists had its first annual show in February 1948. Two years later, the group held three exhibits at North York Memorial Hall, organized by the Extension Service of the Art Gallery of Toronto.
From 1951 to 1959, a three-day show was held in the same location. In 1960 the 13th Annual Show was moved to the newly built North York Public Library, where it continued to exhibit for many years. In 1981 the Annual Spring Show moved to the new North York “Y” where it continued to exhibit until 2005.
The WGA currently exhibit at North York Civic Centre.
Learn more about the Willowdale Group of Artists at http://www.willowdaleartists.com/.
Margie Wagner is the Publicity Chair for Willowdale Group of Artists. She holds a degree from the Ontario College of Art and Design.